Built in the third and fourth decades of the 19th century, the building of the Episcopal Palace was made at the initiative and with the support of the bishop Hám János.
The first episcopal residence was in the Jesuit house, which was transformed and adapted. This is the place where the bishops lived until 1851.
The Palace, as well as the Cathedral, was built in Classical style. The monumental facade is characterized by simplicity and harmony. The remarkable staircase was decorated in 2006 with a huge wood sculpture representing Christ, made in 1777. The corpus is thought to have arrived through the Károlyi counts in the chapel of Ardud Fortress. Afterwards, it remained for a while in the church from Șandra and then it was taken to Căpleni and from here to the Episcopal Palace. Beside the artistic value, this is also a relic that reminds us of the poet Petőfi.
One of the Palace jewels is the chapel. The ceiling is made of gypsum cassettes decorated with wood plates and golden gypsum rosette. Under the ceiling one can see the bas-reliefs with the faces of St. Elizabeth, St. Stephen, St. Emeric, St. Margret, St. Eusebius, St. Adalbert and St. Gerard. The furniture is made of Siberian poplar. The chapel has a renowned altar. Like the corpus, this comes from the chapel of Ardud Fortress, where Sándor Petőfi and Júlia Szendrey got married. The diocesan archive may be found on the ground floor. The visits here are limited due to the work done for introducing all data on the computer.
The Library of the Episcopal Palace owns very rare valuable documents – a big part of the clergy publications of the 16th to 18th centuries. The majority of the books were also traced to Franciscan and minorite collections and also in different parishes.